Second Wind

Second Wind
"Run With Purpose!"

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Product Review: Lems ultra minimalist Boulder Boot

I have a long standing love for Lems.  I reviewed their first shoe (The Primal Origins) in May of 2011.  At that time, their brand name was "Stem" and it was almost 6 months before their first shoe ever hit the market.  It was raw, creative, innovative, brand new... it was an audacious idea put on by dreamers... it was awesome.

Since then (and 3 different branding names I believe) Lems has taken off.  But in the rapid success of a small start-up, they've kept true to their idea and continue to come up with new innovative products that are (on top of everything else) some of The most affordable on the market.

Today, I bring you their Boulder Boot:








When I got my prototype 'Origins' back in 2011, they were they only shoe I wore for a very long time.  I loved them.  They were like wearing house slippers.  Well, Andrew and the team at Lems have done it again and these Boulders are my new personal favorite shoe.  I wear them nearly everyday.  I wear them to work in the office, I wear them taking my daughter to the zoo, I've worn them camping, hiking, to split firewood, and to go to the movies.  Honestly... it's like secretly wearing house slippers everywhere you go.

The boots definitely take the prize in weight.  They weigh under 9 1/2 oz (ounces!).  For reference:  a Vasque Sundowner weighs about 3 1/2 pounds, the Russell Thula-Thulas weight about 1 1/2 pounds, and the Vivobarefoot Off-Road weighs a pound.
They're a blend of water-resistant nylon and real full-grain leather.  They are Not waterproof, but for general use in puddles and rain they have been perfectly water resistant.  I actually really like this because with no waterproof membrane and a 100% cotton liner they are perfectly breathable (unlike any other boots I've ever tested).
Of course, they have the 0mm drop and a 9mm sole made of proprietary injection "LemsRubber"
And I Love the 100% cotton liner (see picture above.

There is Nothing to this boot....in a good way.  No heel counter, no toe counter, no shank, no arch, no... nothing.  Just a barely there, perfectly flexible, bendable/twistable/foldable and perfectly packable boot.

Now for the kicker:  These boots are $115.  $115.00.
For a minimalist boot you're probably going to spend anywhere between $185 and $400, these are $115 and I'm telling you... you will Not be disappointed.

Check them out at www.lemsshoes.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment