So remember to perform mid-run check-ups as you go:
When you first start feeling tired, start at your feet and make your way up, running through a list of items to check off to make sure you're not killing yourself, all by yourself.
- Are my feet landing flat (forefoot - ie, Not heel)
- Is my cadence quick enough or am I leaving my feet on the ground too long (quick step)
- Are my knees bent (Really bent)
- Am I Lifting/Pulling my foot off the ground (with my quads & hamstrings) or am I pushing off (with my calves)
- Am I clinching my fists (or locking my elbows or holding tension in my shoulders)
- Is my back straight, my shoulders back, and my head tall
- Am I breathing.
Check through the list ever-so-often and use it to "reset" yourself and your efficiency - you'll be amazed at how doing this simple 30 second check-up can completely obliterate feelings of early fatigue